A sedentary lifestyle is bad. And according to an anonymous source it is the “new smoking“.
Life for a lot of people has become so comfortable that inactivity is now second nature to their everyday existence.
In other words not moving enough can cause you great harm and increase your risk for certain diseases such as cancer.
This is the kind of lifestyle in which an individual fails to get the required (regular) amount of physical activity.
It is agreed by professionals that walking 10,000 steps a day which is approximately 5 miles is the target that can help us avoid health risks associated with inactivity.
It might interest you to know that sedentary lifestyle or physical inactivity is the fourth leading risk factor for global mortality according to WHO.
It is that bad and you should make it a duty to be mobile because going to the gym for 30 minutes is not enough. The only way out is the recommended 10,000 steps.
Sadly, our workplace has become the killer zone because they are becoming more sedentary than ever.
We spend hours at our workplaces in sedentary positions that only gets our health in bad bad shape.
According to an article posted by John Hopkins Medicine physical inactivity has been shown to contribute to the following health conditions:
- Physical inactivity may increase the risks of certain cancers.
- Physical inactivity may contribute to anxiety and depression.
- Physical inactivity has been shown to be a risk factor for certain cardiovascular diseases.
- People who engage in more physical activity are less likely to develop coronary heart disease.
- People who are more active are less likely to be overweight or obese.
- Sitting too much may cause a decrease in skeletal muscle mass.
- Physical inactivity is linked to high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.
Worldwide, it is estimated that a sedentary lifestyle is responsible for 6% of coronary heart disease cases, 7% of type 2 diabetes, 10% of breast cancer and 10% of colon cancer cases. In fact, it was recently reported that inactivity is responsible for more annual deaths than smoking.
Hope you are not on your couch at the moment? Not surfing the net? Not watching TV or on your office desk for hours now?
If that is the case, get up and go out for a long walk. If you are in the office, then you better improvise and go about your business staying on your feet